There is a lot of talk about intentional living. But what does it really mean? Intentional living is living with purpose and making decisions that align with that purpose. Intentional life.
It’s the complete opposite of what most people do. Most people are satisfied with the status quo and mediocrity they experience in their life. Further to this most people only end up taking action because they have to deal with disasters that happen in their life.
Intentional living is all about crafting the type of person you want to be, and designing the life you want to live, and then ensuring you hold yourself to account, creating choices and goals that align with the intention you set out.
- Understand that choices matter. An intentional life is all about making choices that make sense for you and align with your core values and beliefs. Its important to remember that your choices will determine the direction of your life and are the foundation to creating the results you experience along the way.
- The greatest power you have is the power of decision.
- We all have a past and it’s our past that shapes us and gives us experience. But it doesn’t have to be an issue. You have the power to change how you view the world and can choose to live in a new way.
- Describing your dream life. Have a goal or target in mind. How do you want to live? Think about the changes you can make to step towards living your dream life. Be bold, be brave and leave your limitations behind for a moment.
- Think about your ideal day. What does it look like? How do you spend your time? Where do you live? What are your finances like? Who are the people in your life? Give it some thought.
- Define your values. A massive part of intentional living is understanding and living in accordance to your values. It’s not about reacting to anything and everything. It’s about living on your own terms. You need to be intimately familiar with your personal values to accomplish that.
- Setting goals for the most important areas of your life. These would usually include, finances, career, relationships, spirituality and health amongst others. You can add as many categories as you choose and of course these will depend on your personal aspirations and values.
- Developing and choosing habits. It’s much easier to live intentionally when you have habits that are supportive and aligned with what you want to accomplish. Willpower alone rarely works for most people. Picking a couple of simple, but effective habits, that will help you to attain your goals and start implementing them. Perhaps replace a bad habit or two with your new habits.
- Spending your time wisely. The majority of us do not give a lot of thought to how we spend our days. Keeping your dreams, goals and values in mind, what is the best thing for you to achieve today? What can you do right now that will push you towards achieving your goals? Plan each day, make choices about what you are going to do and above all avoid operating on autopilot.
- Take control over your impulses. For the majority of us, most of our impulses lead us in the wrong direction. They are usually born out of habit and relate to pleasure or avoiding some sort of pain or discomfort. To live intentionally we need to make rational decisions and ensure we follow through with them regardless of comfort.
- Giving control to your impulses is the polar opposite of intentional living.
- Remove and reject distractions. Remove all distractions, including thoughts of the past or future. Intention requires presence. Distractions by very definition are things you shouldn’t be doing at this moment in time. Just checking the news or weather, or paying a bill is a distraction if you are supposed to be doing something more important at that time.
- What is measured improves. How did you do today with living intentionally? What challenges did you come across? Where did you fall short? And most importantly, what can you do tomorrow even better than you did today?
- We win, or we learn. Learn something from each and every day that you can apply to the future.
So, are you choosing your life or just living by default? Remember, to live does not mean you are alive. Having a life that you love and have designed will never happen by accident. Be brave enough to choose the life you want to lead. Decide the person that you want to become and make your decisions and choose your actions accordingly.
Live intentionally. It’s the best way to respect yourself, your time and to live your life.
Let me know in the comments, what changes will you be seeking to make to start living a more intentional life.